Friday, August 17, 2007

Breastfeeding .... The Great Debate...

It seems to me that one of the biggest causes of Mother Guilt, debate and anger amongst women is breastfeeding!!!

I have been browsing many blogs and come across this subject over and over again. It seems that there is a big shift across many countries to limit advertising and samples for formula, in the attempt to "de-normalise" bottle feeding.

Personally I think it is a good move. I don't believe that bottle feeding is the first thing that mothers having difficulty breastfeeding should be offered. At the same time, I do believe that bottle feeding is a necessary choice for many women.

Interesting points of view have been given by many women over at Mom's Daily Dose I feel the most important thing is that women don't attack each other for the choices they make. If mother's and women are going to attack each other then who is going to support us???

More on my opinions later......

1 comments:

Kim said...

As an OB nurse, who breastfed for 2 years, I find it disheartening when mothers react negatively to breastfeeding. I have had patient’s family members make snide remarks about breastfeeding that were completely uncalled for especially in front of a new mother. Thanks
ob-nurse.blogspot.com/